15 August 2007

Happy 60th!

Just to get rid of the media-loves-only-negative-stories hype (even after all these years, I am conditioned to think I am still part of ‘media’ – how sad is that!!) here are two feel-good real-life stories. And appropriate to put them up today, I thought.
So, you think you can get any work done quickly on your PP/visa only if you give up your Indian citizenship and take on a foreign one? Because that way, it won’t be the Indian embassy that is doing the work, right? Wrong!! So, so wrong.
I had a name endorsement I needed on my PP (and I am still on an Indian PP) – and the Indian High Commission (there’s only one in NZ – in Wellington) had it done (correctly) and sent me back my PP – from my dropping off my PP to receiving the completed product – all it took was two working days!!
Go beat that! Who says our Government can’t function efficiently (at least, when there are no meddling retards masquerading as politicians to throw spanners in the works)?
Here’s one more.
Another step forward – a happy beginning at least!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article2246476.ece
Happy 60th, India! And may you have many, many more happier returns!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy independence day to you too!
Liked this post and it's good to see positive stuff here.. I was tired of hearing NRIs cribbing about bad roads, traffic issues and infrastructure blues in India..
-Vidya

Wellingtonbala said...

The new HC has come like a breath of fresh air, in contrast to the Dogra debacles of the yesteryears. I have experienced this too.
Happy Independence Day.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Vid: Yes, sure makes a 'positive' change, doesn't it.

Bala: For sure. The old one was really inefficient! Let's hope this continues.

rads said...

It feels good to belong to India, no matter the passport! :)

Anonymous said...

happy 60th to u too

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Rads: That is so true, esply if you are an NRI;-)

Kasa: Welcome and thanks.

Anonymous said...

Indian High Comm in London is pretty efficient too.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

MG: That's wonderful to hear.

hari said...

Hi L,

How are u doing. Love to see hardcore patriots like you. Despite having heartfelt patriotic feelings for India myself, let me tell that your PP story was an unintended aberration which I am sure the Indian High Commission cannot be expected to repeat.

As far as 60 years of independence is concerned today in India only the politicians and their associated anti-socials alone can take pride to be enjoying it. A common man is still colonised, now by his own countrymen

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Hari: Long time,how are you doing?
No, I don't think my PP story was an aberration - almost all the NRIs here that I talk to have reported such good experiences, thanks to the new High Commissioner.
As for the rest of what you've said, unfortunately, onlyl a few enjoy it. But is that reason to dumb down what an achievement 60 years is?