5 December 2008

In Dehradun

True to form this time, even my last flight from Delhi to DDN was late. I was in a foul mood and completely exhausted.

The 40-seater small aircraft and its bumpy takeoff didn't help my mood any. Till, in the distance, I saw the first sight of the Himalayas - snow capped and extending in both directions as far as I could see. I was moved. I had never imagined that I would set eyes on the Himalayas in person in this lifetime or that it would affect me so much. It was just awesome and was so completely unexpected. Suddenly, it was as if all the hassle with getting here never even happened.

And so now, I am in Dehradun. Small city, friendly people. The house has a view of Mussorie from the front balcony. We are planning to go there soon.
**********************************************************************************
It is really surprising to see what draws the attention of kids. Small N is fascinated by a brick house being built next door. She spends hours watching them lay the bricks in a row, putting cement on top and then moving on to the next row. She's never seen any brick houses being built, only wooden houses in NZ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! What will I not do for a Himalayan trip now. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Great to know you're in Dehradun now. Have a wonderful trip.
Vidya

Nick Ballesteros said...

What an exciting time you must be having, airport hassles notwithstanding.

Pollux aka Paps said...

Inba: not sure if i will actually get the himalayas themselves this time around. but i can dream, can't i?

Vid: Thanks

Watson: yes, i am. cheers.