18 April 2009

Silly, sentimental and stupid - I know. But when I saw the mangled remains of our car this morning, that was my day gone!

It wasn't even a new car - to be quite honest, it was on its last legs. But still, to see it dented, bent, the gaping maw, broken headlights, shattered windscreen, doors that won't open any more....and when I saw it being towed away, I felt like I'd sent my pet to the abattoir....

Even people don't last. So why fret about a car that would have lasted, at the most, anyways for a year more? So what if this in the car in which I reallly learnt how to drive. Or that this is the car in which I put small N into her first car seat? Or that this is the car in which we took Fudge for his last drive to the vet? Or that this is the car in which big N had her first driving lesson from dad? Or if this is the car in which we traversed the length of the North Island here? Or that this is the car in which little N said her first ever sentence (to her teddy bear): "Car seat want? Ok".

Silly, sentimental and stupid...


2 comments:

hari said...

"Silly, sentimental, stupid".

True, but can we avoid being one. This in fact forms the basis for nostalgia.

Munimma said...

Have you read the No1 Ladies detective agency series of books? You will find a resonance in the latest one :-)