17 October 2005

Navarathri & Fudge

Just recovering from the excesses of Navarathri. A veritable whirlwind of social visits to all houses that boasted of a 'golu' and invited us for vethalai paaku or haldi kumum or manjal kungumam. Of course, the vethalai bit is only imaginary or wishful thinking, for you don't get it here (at least not in windy Wlg).

But what is really nice is that you get to meet people at least once a year by virtue of being invited to their house or inviting them to yours. You get to see people using their imagination and putting up a desi/kiwi version of the golu padis. You get the satisfaction (even if you think that by the end of it all, you will be well and truly round the bend) of knowing that you are exposing the children to the best and nicest things in Indian culture.

And the pleasure you get in seeing your kids setting up the vethalai paaku trays or giving manjal kumkumam to the ladies or the man of the house putting up the decorations and adding his own touches to the golu. And the thought of all the punyam you are accumulating on the long journey into the unknown (or the sins you are wiping out) by dishing out tamboolam to 50-odd ladies!

On a slightly lower but equally satisfying level, the sundals you get to eat and the 'oc' dinners you get to go out to. And the chance to fish out your silk saris from hibernation and flaunt them. And of course, the `loot' the you collect (I enjoy that, pakki (el cheapo) that I am) which is a source of delight to me and the kids alike.

**************************

This year though, I must confess that we got one extra gift that we didn't anticipate or expect. The neighbour rang the door bell, two days into Navarathri. And she brought us a gift. Someone had found it near her office, and she remembered that we had lost our pet recently, so she she asked, "Would you like to have it?" Would we ever!!

So the decision was made (not by us:) and we took that little ball of grey and black fur (a lot of it, actually) into our home. So, Navarathri Fudge is our new rabbit. East meets West.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written blog... you may just want to correct virute to virtue.. read your earlier one on Sania and thats when I remembered the articles I was planning on cutting and bringing it for you. They were on dress code in the unis where there is a lot of fuss these days on what women wear especially Anna univ. - Asha

Shammi said...

Navarathri Fudge - nice one. Somehow, Mary didnt quite fit in :)

Anonymous said...

The last bit was so cute :)

The navarathri week was pretty busy here too..had invited a few friends for sundal + dinner.. was fun, plus visting others' places too.. I was lucky to find good vethalai the 2nd time i went to the Indian store .. For 2 days called friends in the evening with menu sundal(my mom's recipe) & ravai kesari.. followed by dinner .. it was fun to meet everyone. This is the time of the year that I miss being back home the most (the navarathri-deepavali time)... bcoz of all the fun you have, the great food and meeting so many people.. but guess I did manage to have some satisfaction of celerating decently here too.. looking forward to deepavali, and hope the sweets I plan to make dont turn out to be disasters :)

Vid

Anonymous said...

Read your blog, it is good, would like to read more from you though, I know
you are busy but it is nice to read long ones _ Chaithra

LAK said...

Well written blog--yes--Diwali-Dussera is the best time of the year, isn't it? Do you put up the dolls koluvu too? i have just started blogging and inspiration dries up as soon as I sit at the comp!

Anonymous said...

You write like a true journalist, what with all the interesting facts to keep the interest going!

We had few friends over to see our golu. Although I don't have too many "bommais", we used our imagination and used lighting, toys etc. It looked very good! - Deepa

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Asha:
Thanks for that, I've made the corecction. As for dress code, I feel its a passing phase.

Shyam:
Thanks da. I like the sound of Navarathri Fudge (although it does sound like a new kinda sweet I thought up for the festival). Mary was just what Nandita came up with.

Vid: One reason why Navarathri is cool and easy is the sundal - the variety and the simplicity. In fact, you dont even need a recipe for it, as there's nothing much to do. I'd also made mysore pauk and coconut barfi to give to people with the sundal.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Chaithra;
I too would love to write long ones (and am glad I havn't started boring you yet with my posts). Will try when I do have something to blog about and the time to do it.

Lak:
Welcome to both my blog and the blogosphere. I am sure you will be fine once you keep blogging. How did you come across my blog?

Deepa: Thanks for that. Although, I am not doing anything much at all in journalism nowadays. And I don't actually regret it much.

Shammi said...

I know - Papu told me Nanditha wanted to name the rabbit "Mary" :) Where on earth did she come up with THAT name?

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, Sundal is the simplest... but tasty too.. now that's a rare combination isn't it? :)

Vidya

LAK said...

Found your blog through ramya's which in turn I got from vayu's which i got from surya's. All the talk about sundal, mysore pak and coconut burfi is making my dieting vows wobble! Not that I am on a recipe exchanging spree, but are you familiar with the so-called seven cup sweet? I call it the lazy man's mysore pak! Have you noticedhow we associate good times with good eats? i guess we are all foodies!

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Shyam:
I think she got it from the Wiggles video, where they all go to 'Maree's wedding'.:)

Vidhu: yes, sundal is all that, and one more too _ healthy! Now, that is a deadly combo: easy, tasty and healthy!

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Lak:
I can get the 7 cups recipe for you. Can you give me an email address to send it to?
Btw, where do you live. I did drop into your blog, but did not see any profile for you.
Basically, I think food with good times is part of all cultures, so, yes, you are right, we are all very primitive foodies:)
In answer to your previous question, yes we did put up a kolu, of 3 steps, plus a railway station near a tropical forest:) Kids did a great job of that one.

LAK said...

Thanx, i make the seven cup sweet all the time---was just wondering if you knew it--mysore pak takes much more skill--have never attempted it. Am struggling with making my blog do the things i want it to. I am unable to even make a link list. I see you have changed your blog's looks. I went to blogger help, but maybe i didn't carry out the instructions properly. Am based in Gurgaon, Haryana.Will try to add this bit to my profile today

Anonymous said...

Very interesting blog. Look forward to more blogs in future.Gayathri

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Lak:
Yes, I too am not an expert and still haven't been able to put up any links in my blog, although I would love to. I am sure that your progress will be much quicker than mine though....

Gayathri:
Thanks, sister, for taking the time to leave a comment!