7 November 2005

A bit of this and a lot of that!

Just been having a bit of a blast, both at home and work.

*************************

Been into birthday surprises for friends. That organisation does take up some time and effort. But end results are well worth it at least for me. Probably need to go and ask the friends in question if they feel the same way:)

*************************

Been catching up a bit on my reading too. Read 'The Da Vinci code' by Dan Brown and 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho. Both of them are books that make you think. Not a very good lookout for a going-rusty brain like mine.....

************************

Been watching a lot of movies too. Mostly Hindi. And luckily, only a couple of them did make me think. A couple of Tamil. And before anyone jumps the gun and thinks I am going to put my own review to add to the zillions already on the net, no, I am not. Only my comments.

My movie wishlist is reality now.
Anniyan: The only thing I want to say about it _ I appreciate director Shankar's social-mindedness and if I do come across the character Remo in real life, I'll make sure he can never open his mouth again........BLECH!

Mangal Pandey:
The movie lacked depth, but the historical background more than made up for it, in my eyes. Of course, eye candy in the form of Aamir and Toby Stephens did help. Not to take away from Aamir's brilliant performance, though. In fact, acting was definitely above average as were the sets, music etc.
Viruddh: Amitabh was simply brilliant. And Sharmila Tagore, I swear, she's better looking now, in spite of being married to the Nawab.
Paheli:
Now, this one deserves more than than one line. So I might well make it my next post.
Bunty aur Babli: Quite cute, at least it wasn't a goody-goody gumdrops movie!
My wife's murder: How does Anil Kapoor continue to look at though he hasn't hit his 50s?
Bewafa: When will our film-makers ever learn that kids abroad never, ever speak Hindi that way? Probably never!!! What a rotter that movie was. At least, Sush looked gorgeous.
Parineeta: Off-beat, but I liked it, especially Saif and that new girl who is Lolita in that movie (what on earth is her name? If anyone knows, pls let me know). Nice arty-type love story with a Bong background.
I only have No Entryleft among this lot, to watch. After that, it will be bandh for movies for a while, at least for Hindi ones.

********************************

Found out after a visit to the vet that Navarathri Fudge is a 'he'. But too late to change his name now, as be's become 'Navy Fudge'.

*********************************

As for work, well, it's just meeting/training on and on. Sometimes, I feel that the only breaks I get in between meetings and trainings is 'work'!!!

5 comments:

LAK said...

Good to see a new post! Did you raid the DVD store or camp out at the theatre? Haven't seen all the ones you have! In Parineeta, the heroine is a plain and simple Lalita, Bongified to Lolita--maybe the makers thought the connotation wouldn't hurt! By the way the girl is Vidya Balan.
Didn't you think Toby Stephens evoked more empathy than Aamir? I felt the Sati rescue scene was tepid, but then maybe I'm comparing it to "The Far pavilions".
Ha ha about Navy Fudge!

Anonymous said...

Liked your new look to the page and your intro... been really busy with all those movies that you have seen..Asha.

Anonymous said...

Hi Papji,
For the movies - I loved Parineeta.. very beautiful and aesthetic.. btw, her name is Vidya Balan (and I think she's really pretty.. not just the make-up kinds.. but genuinely pretty).. and I'm not saying that just bcoz i share her name .. lol :)
NO entry - a lot of comedy and very few clothes ;).. quite a lot of masala but all in all, had a lot of funny scenes which made it quite enjoyable.. mainly Anil Kapoor was terrific.. I hate salman khan.. so dont want to say anything abt him.
I didnt like Paheli.. was too weird for me to relate to..Mangal pandey.. was quite disappointing.. I was expecting better.. somehow the focus on that white guy (Gordon) was too much... kinda stole the real picture..

-Vidya

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Lak,

I didn't analyse Mangal bit by bit, but my overall view was that in spite of Aamir, Toby etc, there was something definitely missing. Can't quite put my finger on it at the moment.
Have these periodic binges when I just go movie-mad. That's all.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Asha,
As ever, thanks.

Vid:
I know what you mean abt Vidya Balan, something lovely and genuine about her. I can't stand Salman too and I found out after sitting through half of 'No Entry' that I'd already seen the original version in a TAmil movie, so couldn't really be bothered to sit thro a tepid movie again.