17 November 2005

Global warming

What really causes it?

Is it because of man and all his careless antics, unjustifiable misuse and waste of resources?

Or is it just a cycle in the Earth's life, when temperatures go up just before an Ice Age sets in?

I've read quite a lot in support of both schools of thought. And I prefer to believe the first version. For this means that at least, we have some sort of control over global warming (in spite of the United States). And that we can (maybe) do something about it, so that the world becomes a safe place (of course, I am not taking into account nuclear weapons, dictators and what-not). And that, this way at least, we will be accountable for cleaning up/reducing wastage.

But what if the second option is really the one? Scary to think how insignificant we really are. And how petty!!!

But then again, maybe some clever humans will move the entire population out of the Earth by the time that happens. Well, at least, the men can go to Mars!

*********************

I know this is such a huge problem, but just now, I can't feel very afraid. I've just had my lunch of idlis and chutney (if I willingly suspend my sense of disbelief, I can even believe that I brought them as a takeaway from Saravana Bhavan) and a huge glass of feijoa smoothie. So, I am too replete and sleepy to really care......

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes men can go to mars and we can go shopping somewhere:-)
C

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Chaithra,

Name the day. Maybe some day, we can even go and shop at Ezibuy:)

Anonymous said...

I should agree with Chaitra. We sure can go somewhere like timbaktu or constantinople!!!!
Gayathri

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Sister G,

Let us first try for Palmie (which is so nearZ) and then move on to more ambitious things, shall we:)

LAK said...

Why Trisanku Swargam?
Yes, man is a very insigificant part of the universe. One theory even has it that maybe the dinosaurs caused global warming by depleting the plants to such an extent that CO2 levels rose.
And---maye there are wonderful shopping places on Venus!

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Lak: Why not? I mean, I am in-between East and West for one. And I have found that situation in more aspects of my daily life. That's why. Of course, that will only last till my next phase of redesigning hits me...
Yup, if only Venus was habitable, we could create beautiful shops and shape an even more beautiful planet...