26 April 2007

Calling people names

I had one of my nicest and most interesting projects to do at work today.

Got a call from one of our managers up in Auckland. She wanted a favour from me. And guess what it was? She was to be MCing a function that evening. And she had a lot of Indian/Middle Eastern names to get through as part of the MCing. So could I help her with the correct pronunciation?

I was totally impressed with her attitude. But still I had to ask her. Why?

Well, I would hate it if anyone pronounced my name wrongly (mind you, most people won’t as her name’s quite simple and straight-forward). So I guess it’s the same for everyone, she said.

How simply and succinctly put.

Do I need to add that I put my best efforts into getting her pronunciation right? He he. She even got my name right!!!!

3 comments:

Shiv said...

tat was a nice attitude of hers

Shammi said...

not even the northies take the trouble of getting southie names right, so it's extra nice for a firang to do so :)

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Shiv: yes, it sure was. Not many people do it here, for sure.

Shyam: Absolutely da. And some of the names she had were pretty hard even for us: try Hrinay, for eg;-)