5 April 2007

All of a sudden

Someone must have been listening when I mentioned that bit about doing up a blog on my grandparents. Suddenly on March 16, got a phone call from my mom in Chennai saying my grandmother had been admitted to ICU. And the next day, I was on a plane, enroute to Chennai.

Back in NZ after a tumultous two weeks during which my family here somehow managed with a lot of help from good friends ( I went to India alone). My grandmother's now back home. But she's been afflicted by senile dementia. And all my fears are for my mom, who is now handling it all alone there on a permanent basis. With as much help as my brother (& his family) and a cousin (& her family) can give her. But unfortunately, they are both unable to be in Chennai on a daily basis and also have their own problems to handle anyways.

When human help fails, you can only look to the Divine.

4 comments:

rads said...

I am sorry you are going through this. We all face this at some point in time, parents and elders living far away and the feeling of helplesness that creeps up on us more and more.

Hope your grandma gets better soon.

LAK said...

I'm really sorry to hear this. Hope things work out for all of you.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Rads & Lak: Thanks for those compassionate words. She is getting worse, with dementia. And at 92, cannot expect more I guess. Really worried about my mom coping all alone there.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about this. Don't know what to say except I know how you feel, having had people ill in India recently and you have all my prayers.