25 June 2007

The dark side

He may be the best thing that has happened to Tamil cinema since...well, since whoever or whatever. His movies maybe be slickly made and technically superb. Granted!!

But am I the only one who has noticed the dark thread that is a constant in Gautam Menon's movies?

Take Kaakha Kaakha, Vettaiyadu Vilayadu or Pachaikili Muthucharam. Even his light-hearted Minnale - I found it a bit depressing somehow. The other three - suffice to say that I won't watch them more than once. Even that was 'dark' enough.

Why is it that we seem to be picking up the worst along with the best things from Hollywood?

6 comments:

Blogeswari said...

dont forget the gory thalayai parcel pandra, viral cut panni aprom kill pandra serial kolais

GM is over rated

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Blogeshwari:
Love your name;-)

And yes, GM is overrated and his movies have some pretty gross scenes in them - witness the butchering of the bodies in VV or the 'rape' of Jo in PKMC.

Blogeswari said...

thanks KL. I notice the same thing about directors Ameer (Raam, Parutthi veeran, Mounam pesiyadhe) and Bala (Sethu, Nandhu, Pithamagan). They make depressing movies. I dont mind if a movie makes me cry when I am out of the theatre but not depressed.

Parutthi veeran is so overrated, I wonder how people go back to see it again and again. Sethu, Nandha, Pithamagan = maha depressing stuff.

This guy Vasantha balan who directed Veyyil is sure to join this gang

The Inquisitive Akka said...

Life is depressing enough, I wish they didn't make movies that make you feel worse.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

BA: you are so right abt the other guys too: and when i was in india in march, saw Paruthi songs, promos etc - it looked so GROSS AND GORY - makes me wonder what it takes for a movie to be a hit. And I did wonder about Veyil, but hey, if it is critically acclaimed, it has to be doubly depressing, right??? Normal, nice movies never make it to the awards shows...

Akka: where are you? long time. is your blog still up and running? send me the link. and why are you depressed? although, u r right, life is sad enough without seeing more of it on screen as well...

And

The Inquisitive Akka said...

The link is the same