18 September 2008

Dy(e)ing to design

I was at the littlie’s school last evening to demonstrate ‘India’, as their topic for this term is India. From saris to ghagras and Diwali, we talked about all that and then talked some more to the kids about henna.

Finally came the practical session, which was also the grand finale of the evening: we had to put henna on the kids’ hands. Although I can do the southie way of henna quite well (which is more basic shapes, as opposed to the really delicate northie designs), I did my darnedest best to accommodate the kids’ requests, such as hearts, butterflies, suns etc. Till it was one little boy’s turn.

Little Boy: Can I have a shape done on my hand too?
Me: (encouragingly)'Course, u can. What shape would you like?
LB: A body?
Me: A body? (struggling a bit here)Um, sure, what sort of a body?
LB: A dead body…

7 comments:

umm oviya said...

hahaha... what did you say or draw?

Pollux aka Paps said...

V: I drew a 'dead' body on his hand, of course!!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't that kind of weird.. that just doesn't sound right to me. Did he lose someone/pet he loved dearly recently? Maybe I'm making too much out of it.. don't know.
Henna sounds like fun though. I can so imagine the kids wanting hearts and butterflies.
Vidya

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Vid: Little boys, esply those here, seem to be fascinated by the morbid and the yucky;-(

Shammi said...

:D I predict that that boy is going to be a Goth in the future! Black hair, black eyes, dead white face, many weird piercings and a fascination with death and doom!

Pollux aka Paps said...

Shyam: that poor kid, altho i wouldn't be surprised if your prediction came true;-)

Anonymous said...

Little boys and girls here love talk of ghosts and dead bodies too!