13 December 2004

Saturday Night Fever

It is this West End musical, and has been running to packed houses here. And to rave reviews too!!!
Y'day being Nandana's (my older daughter, for the uninformed) birthday, and Shiva having been able to get free tkts to the show (that was some luck, each seat cost $135), we did go along.

And it was brilliant, and not just because of the lighting. It was like being in a disco and very pleasant, coz you didn't have to dance or sing or DJ and make a fool of yourself! You only had to sit back and watch.

It was a musical based faithfully on the original 1970s movie. The lead dancer even looked like Travolta.

But what a show they all put on. Not only did they all dance, but they sang as well, even while dancing. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I can barely breathe properly (blame some of that on my asthma) when I even walk fast or uphill (which I have to quite often, with Wgn roads being what they are), leave along sing. But here were these superbly trained dancers, singing and dancing. To be sure, most of the songs only had a faint resemblance to the original Bee Gees hits. But still, they all had good singing voices. And the wonderful dancing made up for the really weak storyline.

And the props were good too. Not hard to tell that I enjoyed the show. A lot. As did we all. Even 26-month-old Nandita, once she got over her initial fear of the sound system, which was far too loud.



3 comments:

Houseowner said...

laksh!
that should have been great fun. I watched only one musical worth its name in my life. when in london, with a friend of mine. Carry on Kate. Boy we were impressed.
actually that should be two musicals- i watched bombay dreams too. but that might not qualify.. in some quarters
did nandana like it?

p.s. laksh, u removed my comment! bah!

ramya

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Hey, Rums, sorry da, I removed that by mistake, would have put it back on if only I had known how.

And to answer ur question, N enjoyed the lights and her icecream more than the actual show, but who cares!!!!

Shammi said...

I hope to see a musical one day, live on stage. Until then, I'll just have to watch the Performance TV channel, which shows classic opera, ballet and musicals. Best thing about THAT is - it's free! :)

Hope Papu had a great b'day, though!