10 April 2006

Harry Potter, Spongebob and Teletubbies

Puhleeeeeese..

Some people must be totally jobless and have nothing better to do.

That's why we have these sudden bursts of insane enlightenment from them when they liken Teletubbies and Spongebob to gays and Harry Potter books to Dark magic.

The first time I read about this (this was after Book 4 in the series was just published), I couldn't even believe it.

Now, I know that these periodic eruptions will happen again (it was someone from the Vatican this time, making this claim) and I can't be bothered to try and infuse them with any semblance of logic.

I enjoy the Potter books immensely and to me, they depict good vs evil, with good ultimately triumphing. As for reading into their sub-plots and subconsious images, allegories, etc, just to come out with something so far-fetched...count me out!

I think that maybe I am just jealous. Yes, really! I do not possess the kind of mind that looks beyond the mundane - I cannot see the intricate and invisible patterns and what they convey. I am too much a fan of calling a spade a spade, so how can I even spot the dark designs embedded in the spade and see them for what they are?

Try as I might, I can't see anything but a silly, pesky sponge with a cutely irritating laugh in Spongebob. And Heaven help me because I failed to spot the true meaning of his holding Patrick's hand.

I can still remember that when I was younger, holding someone's hand only meant that you were their friend. Now it means you are gay. Believe me, nowadays, I hesitate to hold even my daughter's hand in public......

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to hold my daughter's hand just because what others might think!!!
Go on hold her, hug her and express your love, goli maro for ever one else!
C

Anonymous said...

You are so right!I love Harry Potter and that's simply that! To hell with the junta's psychoanalysis and interpretation. Poor spongebob!I think India is still ok, you can hold "same- sex friends" hands and not be misunderstood but I don't think the day is far off!

hari said...

Hi L,

We have seen in History that things have only evolved in a better manner over a period of time and civilizations.

But now we see a lot of meanings and definitions have also devolved over a period of time.

Not long ago somebody told me that a male liking the colour pink fits him in the definition of a gay.

Mr. J said...

Lol.. that's insanity.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

C: I do, I just wanted to convey how PC we have become nowadays! That's why even innocent things like that could be misconstrued.

Thangai;Glad you agree and yes, I think India is still OK that way. Not as PC as the West - yet. I still remember that holding hands with your friend was simply to say - Look, she (or in the days gone by in India) or even he is my best friend!

Hari: Good to see you back.Hope you're OK. Sometimes I think we are taking the concept of being civilised too far.

Me: When I first heard about Spongebob, I couldn't beleive it either. The human is a wonderful and dangerous thing.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Me: Sorry, above comment should have been 'the human mind'.

Anonymous said...

Hey pink doesn't make u gay, it merely makes you a sophisticated metrosexual male!:) Look at the Saif alis and Sharukhs of the world, they get away with hot pink!

hari said...

Hello Thangachi,

Oh God, I never thought even at this young age I would get outdated about knowledge of the ever evolving terminologies.

Now what is Metrosexual. Is it a new concept on sexual preferences. I thought we have already exhausted all the combinations.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Well the definition is more" In general parlance, to be called metrosexual is not to be called gay, but rather sensitive, chic and cultured." :)
"James Bond is very metro in a lot of ways. He aint no sissy but he has excellent taste."--- some definitions from the net. :)

Anonymous said...

HAHA,
That was so unline you kind of post-

When I first came to US, and put my arms around my friend's shoulder-people strated staring at me!

Then I figured out

LAK said...

Arrey, when we were kids,the word gay just meant very happy---Enid Blyton books were full of this word. And talking of EB, the PC police were on her case a while back,bec. her golliwogs were usually mean,so she was racist, and the blue eyed dolls were weak and delicate so she used sexist stereotypes!

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Hari & Thangai: Metrosexual - the most famous one today is David Beckham - and he is held up as a role model for all aspiring ones - so Hari, you should model yourself on him, if at all u want to be a metrosexual. Personally, I would call him a wimp. But hey, each one to his or her own.

As for our movie stars, they can dress flashier than the heroine and get away with it. I remember in `Rangeela' Jackie Shroff wore a bandini design (and colour) shirt! And Saif Ali wore the brightest costume ever for the Melbourne Commonwealth games. Go beat that!

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Hey confused: We all have our bad hair (or shd I say good hair ) days. Cheers.

Lak: Yup, I remember stuff abt EB. Well, maybe she was racsist and sexist, but who cares? I know I didn't when I was a lot younger and used to love her books. What she wrote of was true in the time she lived. If people go around picking holes like that, then Gone with the wind is totally racist.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Mumbaigirl: True, but then, so many things seem to be "against our culture", when our netas decide so. Who's to question them about the sleazy lives they lead?

Mr. J said...

Update mangtha hain.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Me: Patience.....

Mr. J said...

Can you spare some patience please? :p

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Me: That's something I am still short on, even after two kids....so don't have enough to share around.:)

hari said...

Hi L,

So you want me to look like a wimp too. I think I am okay the orthodox way that I look.

And so far as Heroes of Bollywood dressing flashier than heroines, it is natural because heroines nowadays hardly wear any dresses.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Hari,

Watch what you are saying*grin* I said Beckham and you say wimp, so do the two equal each other? He is a metrosexual, you know and anything he does goes.....the choice, of course, is entirely upto you