5 March 2007

Somethings will never change.

This morning, I saw an old man paying off a taxi driver outside the railway station. A gust of wind suddenly blew away a 5$ note from the man's hand. The note flew near the stationary taxi's wheel - and promptly, the old man brought his shoe down on the note to pin it, and then leaned down to pick up the money with a relieved laugh.

I physically cringed. I could see the practical side of it, but still, I cringed.

Somethings will never change.

I guess sometimes you can take the Indian out of India but you can' take all the India out of an Indian...

8 comments:

Shammi said...

Me puzzled - what's to cringe at?

rads said...

yea, some are ingrained no matter the situation.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Shyam: What part of the world are you from? Ask your mom, since she's there!!! Easier than giving you convuluted explanations via blog comments...

Rads: yes, logic wars with sentiment, but these things are ingrained. Long time, how are you?

Shammi said...

Have thought about it - is it the "dont step on Goddess Lakshmi" sentiment? I wouldnt step on a book or shove it aside with my foot if I could possibly help it.

PS. NOT going to ask amma!

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Yup sister, you got it in one!!! Hard to get rid of that training, ain't it?

Anonymous said...

So true, some things will never change. I haven't been able to give up these kinds of things too.. for example, I still don't like the idea of licking an envelope to seal it, like they do in western countries.. and also the same about stamping a piece of paper etc.
-Vidya

LAK said...

yeah, these things are strongly ingrained. I guess there are certain things we couldn't ever do---even if it meant the currency note flying away!

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Vidhu & Lak: Yes, and thinking back, you don't even realise how all this got ingrained so strongly into you...so much so, that even after years away the homeland, you can't change certain things.