14 March 2007

Headstand

Last night, at yoga, we were practising how to do headstands (only partial ones, not the full ones where you literally stand straight on your head). And they were hard and tricky enough, never mind their benefits (flow of blood to the brain etc)

Doing that (partial) headstand took me years back into my past, when as a 8-year-old (guesstimate - I could have been younger than that) I watched my thatha (grandfather - mum's dad) do the complete headstand and jumped up and down with excitement of seeing someone standing upside down. He must have been at least 75 then. But I can still recall how effortlessly and for how long he stood on his head and how vehemently he opposed my desire to imitate him.
I can see why now - I would have probably broken my neck trying it.

I figure that in many ways they don't make them like that anymore. He and my grandmother had such a interesting, colourful and fraught life. Maybe it was a generational thing. ..
Maybe I should just blog about some highlights of their life. That would keep me in the blogging business for years...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Shyam: Usual excuse: time. But want to, so will try.

Anonymous said...

That's the one yoga posture I positively loathe. I fear it and it makes me sick.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

MG: Why? Any background on this? As I said, I didn't go the whole hog, but didn't mind trying the partial headstand.

rads said...

Maybe I should just blog about some highlights of their life. That would keep me in the blogging business for years... I agree!

They led such rich lives didn't they? If all of us feel this way, then it must be something to do with the generation and their way of life....

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Rads: yes, in spite of our hep lifestyles and modern tech, there was a charm (along with the other gross things as well) to life in that generation that is now missing.

hari said...

Hi L,

Well said. Our lives are not half as interesting and colourful as our parents and even less compared to our grandparents even with all the technological and lifestyle developments.

Pls start a series on the lives of your grandparents. I am sure it will make a nostalgic reading.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Hari: Thanks and has been a while now. How are you?

Anonymous said...

I didn't know our thatha could do that.. wow.. I knew how easily he could walk for miles and miles (which I probably wont be able to do even when I'm 40) .. but didn't know about this.
And I agree, you should start posting about their lives.. I would love to read about it.

-Vid

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Oh yes, Vidhu, he could, although I think that walking was his fave thing to do, as you have pointed out. Yes, have set up another blog for all those reminiscences and I figure all our relatives should be interested in it...

LAK said...

Sheershasana is a bit scary, and yes, the fear is that we might break our neck. I guess it has to be attempted by degrees. Started yoga some months ago, so I'm a long way away from you greats!

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Lak: no such things, I am still pretty junior. But I think yoga's great.