6 February 2005

It's a fairly small world

Well, talk about coincidences.....

When I got into the yahoo group for Vidya Mandir school (Luz, Chennai) alumini, it had names from all over the globe in it. But nary one from NZ. Even plenty from Aussie, but no Kiwis.

I wrote and wrote asking if any VMite lived in NZ, but no one did.

And suddenly, it happened, as it often does. I was talking on the phone to Nandana's new Carnatic music teacher y'day, whom I've barely met a couple of times. We got chatting and suddenly discovered that she was from VM and what's more, her mom had been a teacher there. Talk about it being a small world.

Today, anyways, is Waitangi Day _ in other words, NZ Day. This is the day many many years ago (Feb 6, 1840), that the Brits signed the Treaty of Waitangi along with the Maori chiefs in NZ, which is the reason the country officially came to be ruled by the then Queen. So, it's a national holiday for us. Also, happens to be a good friend's 40th b'day, so we had some cake-cutting as well.

In fact, I know totally 4 other people who were all born on Feb 6 (a cousin, a nephew and another friend).

Periappa and Periamma have also finally landed today, and are at home. I am at work now, as I was already committed to working tonight. However, have taken the day off tomorrow in their honour. Anyways, Shiv brought them briefly to work so I could say hello to them. They are already enraptured with good ol Wgn and its beauty. All I said was, sure, but try coming here in winter. And they've seen Europe and US (almost the entire continent already) but still think NZ is a beaut.

Nandimmma seemes to be recovering from her bout of puking that lasted two days and left no food in her now concave tummy. My poor baby. And a fever to boot. Doc reckons its a urinary infection again, but we'll know for sure tomm.

Nandana is totally into her gardening. Project for this week is tranplanting the bean runners into a proper kitchen garden patch from the pot, so they can grow steadily taller and bigger w/o any problems. Methinks she may have a green thumb.

My poor back is already protesting the effects of the garden patch cleaning!


2 comments:

Shammi said...

Hey, wanna lend Papu to me so she can work on my garden? :)

Houseowner said...

i dont have a garden. so i cant even go into it when i have to eat worms. :(

ramya