17 March 2006

Mylapore

Although the latest title of my blog (as frequent visitors here know, I keep changing it ever so often) sounds good to me, I do realise that not everyone may know much about Mylapore. So, a post dedicated exclusively to that.

___________________________________________

Mylai or Mylapore was a thriving port during the mighty Pallava dynasty. It is older than the city of Chennai itself by many thousands of years. Steeped in history, it is also steeped nowadays in dirt, crime and all the ills of modern society. At a cross-roads, just like the rest of India.

Mylapore was first built on the Coromandel shore. The arrival of the Portuguese in the mid-sixteenth century changed the town's history. They built Fort San Thome (now known as Santhome) by pushing Mylapore inward, where it has stood since. And they also gave the town some of its unique place names like Luz (meaning 'light' in Portuguese).

The famous Kapaleeshwarar temple that stands at Mylapore (all said and done, Mylapore is a temple town) is only about 300-400 years old, although the temple contains parts of inscriptions dating back to 1250 AD. These inscriptions are traces of the earlier shore temple that once existed in Mylapore. This temple, dedicated to Shiva stood for many centuries in the ancient coastal township of Mylapore, until the Portuguese pushed Mylapore inward to make way for Santhome and demolished the original temple.

It is this ancient temple that the relatively newer Kapaleeshwarar temple replaced. Mylapore, literally translated from Tamil, means ‘A Town of Peacocks’, 'mayil' being the Tamil word for peacock.

At the eastern entrance is the temple chariot, drawn by devotees during the annual Ther Thiruvizha or the ‘car’ festival as well as the parading of 63 idols around the temple square, known as 'Arubathumoovar' festival. This is when the whole world and its cousin land up in Mylapore, when buses are stopped a mile away from the city and the town chokes on its own popularity. A high point in the annual calender.

Although for me, the crowd is a big no-no (the deeds of the crowd could contribute thousands of blog posts worth to the Blanknoise project), the actual festival itself is really beautiful.

The temple tank is now again full of water (at least it was, when I saw it last year), thanks to unseasonal and generous rains in Chennai. The theppam or float festival happens in the tank every January (when there is enough water to so).

Today, Mylapore is full of shops of every variety and hotels, all sorts of offices, hospitals etc. And as it has always been, it is full of places of worship - there are temples, churches and mosques galore.

It is old-fashioned and represents the (supposedly conservative) city of Chennai. But in it, old values and traditions are still alive.

I've lived there for most of my life - about 25 years and that's a long long time. And it is still home.
__________________________________________

As befitting a Mylaporean, I am off to a Carnatic music concert of Unnikrishan this weekend.And just to tie this whole thing up with my previous post: I have done articles in the newspaper on both Unnikrishnan and the Arubathumoovar festival during my 'glory days' (not).

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and new (to me)details about Myalapore. It is also pertinent to note that Mylapore was the residence of the poet saint Tiruvalluvar who gave us the Tamil Marai (vedam).

Anonymous said...

I studied in VM Luz and I never knew the origin or meaning of Luz!Thanks for enlightening me!

Mr. J said...

That was something interesting, considering that I knew a couple of people who were from Myl.

Enjy yoursef at the concert.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Funny, I've been to Mylapore almost every summer vacation in school, and I didn't know some of this. Probably for me the most important things in mylapore as a kid was the shop that sold rosemilk (saravana :)), and TNG ice cream.:)

Mylapore's a more traditional part of the city with temples and music and you're right, it has a nice feel to it (and I'm sure most people like it that way). From what I've seen and heard, Madras has become much more cosmopolitan with the influx of students/young software professionals in the past few years, but that modernization (partly a good thing and partly bad) seems to be more on the outskirts of the city...
Vidya

Anonymous said...

ugh, went to the thiruvizha once, when I was in the 8th std, I think - got grabbed by men even though amma was right there trying to stop it. NEVER went back. Religion... huh, if it needs to exist at all, it can stay home!

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

B: Well said, Tiruvalluvar is too important to be missed.

Thangai: Do you know that there is a church on LUz church road (the road is named after the church). there is story that the church was built by a group of sailors (portugese)who sailed safely ashore during a storm, thanks to light that shone from the shore. that place is luz and that's y they built a church for our lady of luz.

Me: Tell me, there you are, sitting so far away and still u know people from Myl. It is a small world. Concert was superb, no other word for it.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Vidhu: Same here. Didn't know till recently that Fort ST George, where the state govt sits, was the scene of many a battle between different European powers, as well as between Europeans and Indians. When you get a place where civilisations date back to thousands of years ago, I guess it's bound to be steeped in history.

Shyam: Where on earth have you been??? Good to c u back, though. Yes, i know u hated the fest, and you have told me abt the creeps there. as for your line abt religion, i totally and entirely disagree with you (as you might expect*grin*) but this is not the place for a debate on that!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is certainly an interesting piece of info!Where do you read all this??:)Its been years since I visted school. I live in Bangalore now and I hardly get to visit Madras ( I still hate calling it Chennai!)

Diana Sahu said...

hi..i have been staying in mylapore for last 9 months nw bt never knew so much about it.thanx da.
keep blogging..diana

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Thangai: I am much the same, have to conscioulsy say 'Chennai', as Madras is the first name that springs to mind.

Diana: do you live in Myl? where abouts. maybe next time i come over, we can meet!!!

Diana Sahu said...

Hi i will be living in Mylapore for another one month bcoz my course Asian college of journalism is about to end in another 1 and half month.

Mr. J said...

Long time no see... where you be at.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Hi Me,
I am very much here, just time-strapped!!!