27 March 2006

Bollywood = culture = India?

That's the impression I got from watching the finale of the Commonwealth games in Melbourne.

Sure, I know we can deliver the goods any time, as we have the capacity, and that we'll put a good show in Delhi in 2010. (By the way, the appetiser we got in Melbourne was pretty good too.) But it's the way the delivery gets done that sometimes irks.

I don't know if I was the only one who felt this way, but increasingly, I have seen that of late, the term Bollywood (embracing all India-made films) is the only cultural face of India that is presented to the world (with NZ being no exception).

Nothing wrong with it being presented to the world, but my question is: Is it the only one that is worth being presented? Are we taking the easy way out?

To be sure, last night's extravaganza did have some real slickly made docos on other things Indian. But Bollywood overshadowed everything.

Unlike a new country like the US, we do have a long and awesome cultural background. When you have it, why not flaunt it as well, along with Bollywood?

In case I sound like one of those hide-bound traditionalists, let me tell you that I am not. Far from it. I enjoy movies and have a pretty tolerant outlook. But this thing really gets to me.

I am hoping that maybe I am wrong. And maybe that 2010 will have the best of Indian culture and not just only Bollywood. Or will it all be just a Bollywoodised version?

Questions, questions, no answers! Not yet, at least!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have answers for all your questions sister!
But I don't mind being recognised (thru bollywood or kamasutra or whatever, if that's what it takes), then once the interest is created and the world is hooked, real India will be seen, in all its glory, no matter what!
C

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

That's a really inspiring thought, C. And I hope that our glory does not get eroded by the time all this happens. Go India!

Mr. J said...

Quite a thought. Yeh Bollywood is everywhere. In Germany n Austria, we do get to see a bit of Yoga and Ayurveda though..

LAK said...

Bollywood is increasingly gettinng equated to Indian culture and the face of India presented by Bollywood to the world is LOUD colours(eg. Bride and prejudice, and our Oscar entry, Paheli)I didn't get to see the performance, they could have had a Bollywood artiste perform a classical Kathak or Bharatnatyam dance.(Like Rani & Preeti did on SRK's Temptations tour)

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Me and Lak: Yes, it is unfortunately true. But as C said, I guess a positive way to view this is to take it easy, so long as India appeals to people in one way or the other.
My only worry is that our vibrant and varied culture should withstand that onslaught.

Blogeswari said...

So true Lak! Was just discussing this issue with my husband. Rani, Saif, Lara dutta, Priyanka chopra, Aishwarya... dont we have carnatic/hindustani singers, classical / folk dancers in our country?
Very sad! Attam paattam by one bollywood gang all at the cost of our money (30% tax pay pandreenga!)

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Blogeshwari: Welcome. And good to see that you are in full agreement with me.

Mumbaigirl: Yes, there is much more to India that what was showcased. And much as I love my Bollywood movies, I can never come to terms with this.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Bollywood is not India ans using it perhaps a cheal soultion, It surely is more identifiable but is it more relevant? i don think so..

Btw, I have moved to wordpress...

www.retributions.wordpress.com

tc

Diana Sahu said...

Bollywood has reached everywhere dear...in fact....we are recognised outside thru our movies nw.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Confused: Yup, it was the easy way out, really! Will chk out your new blog site soon.

Diana: I am not quite sure if I would call it 'recognition'. From a Western perspective, Bollywood in most cases is only a bit of a joke. That's why it's not a great idea to represent it as India.