23 July 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


Stayed up way past midnight on Saturday (July 21)to finish reading this one.

Maybe I should put up a spoiler alert before talking any more about it.

The good news for me is that Rowling kept deaths to the minimum - if even so many didn't die, You-Know-Who kind of loses his scare appeal, doesn't he? Some of the deaths are really, really sad. And again, there are soemtimes sections of the book that are very depressing (unlike the previous book). This one's a bit like 'Order of the Phoenix'.


And JK being JK, almost all the loose threads from the previous books are neatly tied up, thanks to the ever-convenient Pensieve and a chance encounter Harry has, titled 'King's Cross'. I say almost, as I am still not sure about a couple of them. Will revise the book to see if I have missed it...


I wished she hadn't painted Dumbledore in so many shades of grey - but I guess the end justifies the means.


And the biggest surprise is how Harry manages to destroy the Horcruxes (come on, you knew that this book was only about how Harry manages to do that). Hermione and Ron actually get to destroy one each. And unbelievably, Neville destroys one more. And the last one is destroyed by none other than You-Know-Who himself....hard to believe? But that is the truth. Hats off to Rowling for that one.


And for all of you out there, if you still haven't read it, do. It is well worth it.


There, a review without giving away too much of what really happens.


7 comments:

Shammi said...

I've just begun the book, but I dont mind spoilers :) Looks like a fun read. Also saw Harry Potter & the ORder of the Phoenix. Not a bad movie, although I have to say I went in a little clueless b'cos I'd forgotten most of the book! :)

Munimma said...

yes, it is over. But I hope she comes back just to answer the rest of the questions and tie up the few remaining knots.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Shyam: it is a fun read, but I have to admit I missed a few things during my first time - there's so much happening.

Munimma: Welcome. Yes< I hope so too. I spotted a couple of loose ends - one of them being how does Neville get hold of the Gryffindor sword?

Shammi said...

Definitely was a good read, that book. Cant help wishing that Fred hadnt died, though... and that flayed whimpering baby bit at the end really creeped me out! ugh.

Munimma said...

the sword comes to the most loyal gryffie, I think. In times of need. Same as in chamber of secrets. coz it belongs to Gryffindor, no matter what the Goblins think.

Well, at least we have the encyclopedia to wait for.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Shyam: I guess that is what Dumby meant when he said in the prev book about the "incomparable power of soul that whole and untarnished" (ie, Harry's). So I guess that's why Voldy's soul is flayed and ugly....I personally found that whole chapter "very convenient".

Munimma: I guess that's the only explanation that fits. I was only wondering how the sword got to Neville from Griphook.
What is this enclyclopedia?

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

And Shyam, forgot to say: I guess she had to kill off a few at least and for some reason Fred got picked. No doubt all these questions will be answered by her at some stage. But sad not to have any more Potter books to look forward to - I am hoping against hope.