26 July 2007

HP & Deathly Hallows - thoughts from second reading

I still don't get why Dumby had to be downsized in stature - he was such a towering impressive figure in all the other books. Maybe just so Harry would find everything harder and still triumph in the end? And also to fit in the Deathly Hallows etc?

And if Marvolo (Voldy grandpa) was a Peverell and Harry is also the last of another Peverall line, does this mean Harry and Voldy are distantly related? Is that why Tom Riddle felt there was a strange likeness between himself and Harry ? (Book 2)

And I noticed just now that Harry does not kill even one Horcrux in this book, although he did start the process in Book 2. Funnily enough, even Crabbe (or is it Goyle) gets to kill one (unknowingly of course) using Fiendfyre.

I was thrilled to see I had guessed right about three things,after finishing Book 6:


  1. That RAB would be Regulus Black and that he may not have destroyed the Horcrux.
  2. That Dumbledore's photo in the principal's study would play its part in helping Harry.
  3. And that Snape wasn't as bad as he seemed to be - and he's probably one of the best characters Rowling's created. So effective and after being such a heel to Harry in all the books, he still earns our sympathy when we get to hear his true story. Truly, I ended up feeling he may have been a better man than James Potter. Although Rowling did her best to confuse us by showing Snape making the Unbreakable Vow, killing Dumby etc, so that we wouldn't figure out where his loyalties lay.
The last chapter was a lost cause. I could and did work out that Victoire was Bill and Fleur's daughter, but how on earth was 19-year-old Teddy Tonks on the Hogwarts train? Don't students finish with Hogwarts by the time they are 17? And too many kids and too many names in this chapter. I liked the bit about Albus Severus, though.

Also not sure how Kreacher, whom we last saw in 12 Grimmauld Place, turns up to join all the other house elves in the Battle of Hogwarts.

Pettigrew's death was a loser and Dobby's death was terribly sad. Bellatrix's end was satisfying, although I would have loved it if Neville or Lupin (before he died) had been the ones to kill her.

But what a wonderful way in which Rowling has fitted all the charaters together. What a read. What a read!

11 comments:

Shammi said...

Was a good read, yeah...

I didnt much like Harry Potter's dad in the books. I preferred Snape - it helped that Alan Rickman (I liked him from his Die Hard movie days!) played Snape... and how WELL he played Snape! He WAS Snape! I even like his name - Severus Snape :) He turned out to be the goodest guy of them all, didnt he?

Dumbledore wasnt all that bad even if he turned out not to be as pristine pure as his beard :)

Shammi said...

PS. Second recipe up, da. Send the next one pls!

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Yup, Shyam, I too thought Alan Rickman was a good choice for Snape. He kind of lives the role.
Saw the recipe, thanks, have left you a comment too;-)
As for the next one, it is coming soon and it won't be what you expect....for sure.

Munimma said...

Dumby's character showed a lot of depth - greys that made him very human, gave the reason why he was afraid of power (being in). It was very well crafted, and we need to re-read all the books to understand that.

Riddle felt the likeness more becoz of the horcrux giving him some of his traits, me thinks. Not looks wise.

Each person got one horcrux :-) equality. Crabbe that was.

Snape was the real hero. Doing his duty inspite of his feelings.

Teddy comes to see Fleur off (she is probably 17 or so)

Kreacher can apparate and has powerful magic, just like Dobby did. One of the pictures probably told him.

No, I am not obsessed ;-)

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Munimma: I believe you, I believe you;-)

Anonymous said...

I really really think you should put up a spoiler alert in the title. I caught myself after reading the first couple of sentences since I am reading the book now. Yeah, I know.

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Anon: Who are thou?
I did put up a spoiler alert for the first blog on this, but saw no reason to do it for the second as 'HP and the DH' is a bit passe now, isn't it? Besides, the actual 'spoilers' come way down in the blog, not in para 1 or 2. And finally, if you wanted to read the book in peace w/o spoilers, why on earth were you reading abt it on the 'net?

Anonymous said...

Hello Kiwilax,

I thought I'll try to provide answers to your musings about Kreacher & Teddy Tonks, but Munimma beat me.

Dumbledy and Snape were contesting for my personal "Best of all" characters. Clearly Severus Snape won that!

Great blog!

Rashmi

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Rashmi: Thanks for dropping in.
Yup, Snape is kind of my fave character too now - takes a helluva lot of guts to do what he did, esply when you are in close contact with someone like Voldy.

Anonymous said...

I was'nt reading about HP on the net. I was just visitng your blog since yours is one of the few that I visit everyday. And No! I am not from Mars. I am from Venus !

Castor aka Kiwilax said...

Anon: (wiping away tears)
Sorry to've spoilt a regular visitor's day. Would be nice to know who you are, but anyways....
Have you finsihsed the book now?